Monday, October 17, 2011

Love note.

I have am in the middle of a love affair marked by deep admiration and well, a fair amount of lust. With whom you ask dear reader? With neither a person nor a thing, but with an entire period in jewelry design and fabrication - the Mughal period.

There isn't any way for me to fabricate pieces with the magnificent opulence of jewelry from this period but I did recently find a site showcasing the work of people who can.


Click around the site to learn more about Mughal jewelry and see beautiful examples. This wonderful site is part of Shaw Jewelry - click around that site to see contemporary pieces made by a very talented jeweler in Maine, Sam Shaw.

I admire the amazing use of color that can be seen throughout the period and have tried to capture a little of that feeling in some of my newer pieces. I tend to think my own style is more Western in arrangement, and unquestionably simpler by comparison, but I can't resist creating a sort of tribute to what, I think, is one of the most captivating styles of jewelry ever made.





These pieces will be posted soon in my online shop: www.megankathleen.com



No comments:

Post a Comment